General Advising FAQs

The Advising Resource Center (HUM 112) should be your first stop for GE advising.

A current unofficial transcript, your updated planning worksheet, and any forms that you might need signed.

No, you do not need to take one class before the other. You can also take the classes concurrently.

No. A minor, certificate, or double major can be used instead of an emphasis pattern. You should inform a Liberal Studies adviser and work directly with the department where you'll be doing the minor, certificate, or the other major. However, if your minor is only 12 credit units, you will need to take an extra class with an LS prefix (in addition to the ones you took for core). 

You should definitely see an advisor. The DPR does not give you enough information to know which courses better match your needs, nor does it provide the flexibility that an adviser can offer you. For example, there may be a new and fantastic course approved for LS, but because your DPR may use an older version of the bulletin, this course would not show up on it. When you talk to an advisor, they will not only be able to inform you about this new course but also approve it as part of your LS requirements. So, please contact an advisor before planning which classes to take in a given semester. 

Future Teachers

Many of our majors are interested in becoming teachers, whether K-12 or post-secondary. The interdisciplinary programs in the School of Humanities & Liberal Studies offer excellent foundations for teaching careers. In particular, Liberal Studies is the recommended major for future elementary school teachers. 

Requirements for admission to the Multiple Subjects Credential program at SF State include:

  • Bachelor’s Degree must be posted before starting the program
  • Fulfill Subject Matter Competency Requirement, either by earning a B.A. in Liberal Studies or passing the CSET exams. 
  • GPA: 2.67 overall or 2.75 in last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units
  • Early Field Experience in a public classroom setting
  • Fulfill Basic Skills Requirement
  • Fulfill Second Language Requirement

Useful Links

No. However, the Teacher Prep emphasis was designed to give you exposure to as many disciplines as possible that are in the California standards, and we believe it prepares you better (content-wise) for your career as an elementary school teacher.

No. A B.A. in Liberal Studies satisfy the subject matter competency requirement for a multiple-subject credential program. If you graduate in LS, you do not need to take the CSETs for multiple-subjects.

As for an elementary school teacher, there are many routes for you to pursue. One is to take coursework that allows you to get an introductory or supplementary subject matter authorization from the state of California. This works the following way. Once you obtain your multiple-subject credential, depending on the coursework you took in college, you can apply for a either an introductory or a supplementary credential to teach a single subject (e.g. math). This credential authorizes you to teach, on top of your K – 5 original multiple-subject credential, K – 9 single subject. Check the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for more information.

There are many different ways, depending on the authorization you’re interested in. The Liberal Studies faculty is working on suggested courses that can be used for your emphasis. For example, for an authorization in sciences, you could combine your GE Segment II science courses (6 credits), Area II Liberal Studies core (6 credits) and your 15 credits from an emphasis to get close to the required 32 credits.

Yes. Liberal Studies has many courses that we recommend for future elementary school teachers. Please check the Liberal Studies Teacher Prep Worksheet on the advising page, where those courses are listed.